Casual RO is designed for laid back gamers, who do not necessarily want to grind their way through the game. For this end, the server features a more causal method of obtaining overupped gears. This method can be confusing and complicated to newer players, especially those not familiar with Renewal mechanics. This page offers a step-by-step guide through the process of obtaining an overupped item.
So you've obtained your dream gear. Let's say you're a Champ, and you've just asura'd Nidhoggur's Shadow straight back to hell. You've got yourself a Nidhoggur's Shadow Garb and you're ready to refine it! What's your first step?
+9 Safety Refine Ticket
First of all, you need to get it to +9. On CasualRO, getting a gear to +9 is no longer an ordeal. All you need is a +9 Safety Refine Ticket. Those tickets can be obtained in multiple ways:
- By purchasing them in Cash Shop for 50 Cash Points.
- By purchasing them in Reward Point Shop for 3 Reward Point Tokens.
- By purchasing them in Faith Point Shop for 15 Faith Points.
- By purchasing them at War Points Dealer for 30 War Points. See here for details.
There are tickets for both Armors and Weapons and work for all gears. Once you get yourself a ticket, you are ready for the next step:
EDIT: THE REFINE MASTER HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE 2ND FLOOR OF PARADISE HQ. THE GUIDE WILL BE UPDATED SOON.
The Master Refiner in Prontera will refine your gears in the most casual way possible. You simply approach the (well hidden) NPC with a +9 refine ticket in your inventory. You can find him in Prontera, behind the old refine building (pront 184,177). Upon turning your ticket in, he will refine your gear to +9 without the need for ores or Zeny. He never fails.
Note: the refiner won't downgrade your gears, nor will he work with +14/+16 safety refine tickets. For now, only +9 tickets apply.
Alrighty, so now you got your +9 gear and you feel on top of the world! Ha... foolish newbie... this is just the beginning...
HD Elunium and HD Oridecon
In Renewal, equipment can be refined up to +20. In Casual RO, we use High Definition ores for refining. HD ores ensure that your gears are never broken when refining, and if the refiner fails, they will only be downgraded one refine level.
In order to refine your +9 Nidhoggur's Shadow Garb, you will need HD Elunium. This Ore, as well as HD Oridecon for weapons, can be obtained in two ways:
- By recycling Enchanted Elunium/Enchanted Oridecon/Adamantium Cards. The monsters can be found in Cavern d'Bastion.
- By purchasing them in the War Points Dealer for 25 War Points each.
These ores are really the only way to refine your gears on CasualRO. There are other ores available, such as normal Elunium, Enriched Elunium and Old Enriched Elunium, but they're not useful.
Now that you have your ores, you need to take them along with your gear to the HD Mighty Hammer in Paradise HQ. That's where the real pain begins...
HD Mighty Hammer
The Mighty Hammer NPC will refine all gears using HD ores. You can find him in Paradise HQ, on the second floor in the lower right corner. He does not accept any other kind of ores. Here's a short breakdown of what ore to use with what kind of equipment. The NPC will not work if you have the wrong type of ore in your inventory.
- Armors +0 - +9: HD Elunium
- Weapons +0 - +9: HD Oridecon
- Amors +10 - +19: HD Carnium
- Weapons +10 - +19: HD Bradium
For the +9 garment, you need to use HD Elunium. Make sure to have at least 10 in your inventory before you start the refining process.
Each refining attempt costs one ore and 50,000 Zeny (100,000 Zeny for +10 and up). It is easy to run out of zeny, so come prepared.
As you attempt to refine your gear, two things happen:
- For equipment up to +15, there is a hardcoded 1 in 10 chance to fail the refine before the success rate is even considered (For +16 equipment and above, that chance is 1 in 5). Think of it as Mighty Hammer messing up on purpose, but consuming your ores and zeny anyway.
- If you wish to avoid this hardcoded failure chance, you can purchase Hollengren's Anvil. This item is carried by HD Mighty Hammer in exchange for 15 Reward Point Tokens, or you can buy it in the Cash Shop for 250 Cash Points. The anvil is consumed on each refine attempt.
After you successfuly avoid the auto-fail, these are the current success rates you'll be facing:
Refine Success Rates
|Lvl 1 Weapons||20%||18%||18%||18%||18%||18%||17%||17%||17%||15%||15%|
|Lvl 2 Weapons||20%||18%||18%||18%||18%||18%||17%||17%||17%||15%||15%|
|Lvl 3 Weapons||20%||18%||18%||18%||18%||18%||17%||17%||17%||15%||15%|
|Lvl 4 Weapons||35%||35%||25%||25%||20%||15%||12%||10%||8%||5%||3%|
|Gears upgraded to +10 will not downgrade to +9 upon failed refine attempt.|
With a little luck, you should be able to get your garment to +10. Congratulations! In pre-renewal world, you'd be a god amongst men! But this is not the end...
Any gear that is refined to +11 or higher is an overupgraded gear. In order to overupgrade your armor, you will need to use HD Carniums. If you'd want to overupgrade your weapon, you'd use HD Bradiums.
Let's suppose you want your fancy garment upgraded to +14. For the Nidhoggur Shadow Garb, you will need to farm some HD Carniums. Both HD Carniums and HD Bradiums can be obtained in the same way as HD Eluniums and HD Oridecons:
- By recycling Adamantium Cards. The monster can be found in Cavern d'Bastion.
- By purchasing them from the War Points Dealer for 50 War Points each.
You are now faced with two options:
- You can continue refining your gear at HD Mighty Hammer by simply using your ores and Zeny, OR
- You can additionally purchase a Safe to +14 Voucher from either HD Mighty Hammer or the Cash Shop.
- You can also use the Hollengren's Anvil with either of those options to avoid hard-coded failure rate.
The +14 Voucher works as follows: normally when refining with HD Ores, a failed refine downgrades your equipment by one refine level. The Safe Refine Voucher prevents that downgrade from happening. While your ores and Zeny are still consumed, your equipment retains its current refine level. The vouchers are only consumed upon failure.
The voucher only works for equipment up to +13. For your +14 gear, you will need to use the +16 voucher (Also available in Cash Shop for 150 Cash Points, but not from HD Mighty Hammer).
With a bit of patience, lots of ores, CPs and some luck, you should manage to overupgrade your garment to +14. Hooray!
This Nidhoggur's Shadow Garb has been successfully refined to +13. This Champ is happy with that, for now.
This concludes the refine guide. Good luck with your gears! (You'll need it!)